Monday, December 26

Magnetic Scrabble Board. DIY



My sister Hannah is super smart.
She loves Scrabble.
Too many words in her mind. 


I found this idea on Pinterest...of course!


Obviously, someone needs to use an Official Scrabble Dictionary.
I remember even thinking while taking the photo..."wouldn't it be funny if I spelled it wrong, ha, good thing I've double checked the spelling." Yet, still got it wrong. 


Things you'll need to create along with some approximate pricing.

Scrabble Game : Free from lady at work or $10 at Walmart.
Magnets with sticky back : Free because I am a crafting hoarder.
Scissors to cut magnet.
Large Frame with super ugly photo in it :  $5.00 Thrifted.
Metal Board : For some reason, I couldn't find this anywhere in the craft shops. I even had my 40% off coupons...yet I improvised. Came to me one night...an oil pan.  So, I bought one from Walmart for $10.  But it's so big, I can get another large magnet board out of it. (I have something super in mind.)
Tin Snips : for the oil pan/or this is completely unnecessary if you find the right board initially.
Official Scrabble Dictionary : I bought mine on Half.com for $4.00
Paper to cover the Official Scrabble Dictionary and a sewing machine.
Craft paint to antique : Already had
Metal Letter Stamps : I got these from Artbeads.com $15 for another project...but had a brilliant plan mid making.
a Hammer : Already had.
Water and Paintbrush : Already had.
About $29.00 to make if you don't include my metal stamps.

Took me about and hour to make.


Cut the sticky magnets into strips and apply to all the letters.
We took out the ugly print in the frame and traced it on the oil pan.
Then, we took the tin snips and chopped it out!
Watch out, this is super sharp metal edges.
We then placed the cut oil pan into the frame and put the ugly print flipped backwards back in the frame.


I wanted to antique frame, plus it already had some pretty good dents...so I took my letter metal stamps and stamped the wood.  After, I went over the entire frame with some water downed craft paint and wiped it off  after it bled in the wood. I tested it first on the back to make sure it would still kind of look like letters.


Which is did! 


A true Scrabble player would never play with out the trusty Dictionary.  I didn't care for the cover, so I decided to make my own.  I found some paper strips and material and sewed it right onto the original cover.  I loved how retro it looks.


i love how the antique look is actually letters, so unless someone is paying particular attention, they would never notice!


I put on a tag and Viola!


Hope you had a jolly Christmas!

Pinned here




No comments: